Coronado Democratic Club - Malala Yousafzai Scholarship
The purpose of this scholarship is to support students at Southwestern College who demonstrate academic merit and financial need which is determined by data on the student’s current FAFSA or Dream Act Application. In addition to general scholarship application information, responses to three prompts is required. Each prompt must be formally answered in 500 words or less.
This scholarship is named for Malala Yousafzia, a Pakistani activist for female education. By the age of 12 Malala was writing a blog about her life under the Taliban using a pseudonym. Because of her activism she was shot in the head by a terrorist as she left school. Her attack sparked international outrage and support. For subsequent extensive and extraordinary work she became the youngest-ever Nobel Laureate at age 17 for the Nobel Peace Prize. Since then she completed her college education in England and continues her activism for girls and women’s rights in areas of oppression through the Malala Fund. Malala is a model for the spirit of democratic values and ideals. It is because of her diligence in leadership and activism for those living in oppression that this scholarship is dedicated.
Answer these prompts in 500 words or less for each one.
1. How are you currently involved in the political process?
2. Why do you consider yourself a Democrat?
3. Discuss two political issues that are important to you, including how you think the Democratic Party should stand on these issues.
- Supplemental Questions
- How are you involved in the political process?
- Why do you consider yourself a Democrat?
- Discuss two issues that are important to you, including how you think the Democratic Party should stand on those issues.
- Do you have a current FAFSA or Dream Act application on file at SWC?